defend, protect, safeguard, guard, shield, shelter, harbour
1. Those people who took up weapons to defend themselves are political prisoners.
2. Torrence expects to defend her title successfully in the next Olympics.
3. Every man who could fight was now committed to defend the ridge.
4. They are ready to defend themselves against Uncle Sam's imperialist policies.
5. To argue otherwise is trying to defend the indefensible.
6. I have sworn an oath to defend her.
7. He hired a top QC to defend him.
8. America's priority is to help nations defend themselves.
9. All our officers are trained to defend themselves against knife attacks.
10. He got the best advocate in town to defend him.
11. We are determined to defend our motherland at all costs.
12. They tried to defend themselves against the enemy with all their might.
13. This is my native land and I'll defend it with my life!
14. He would certainly defend himself if anybody sets about him.
15. The accused man had a lawyer to defend him.