empty, vacant, hollow, blank, open
empty ： 指空无一人或一物，或空洞无意义的。
vacant ： 普通用词，侧重某物或某个位置没有被占用。
hollow ： 指物体中间是空的。
blank ： 指上面没有写字、印刷或做记号的空白表面，或指上面留着准备被填写的空白处。
open ： 指未被占有，从而可被别人得到的。
A green valley opened up before us.
The new store opens up next month.
The artillery opened up at dawn.
3. 【非正式用语】 直言不讳
At last the frightened witness opened up and told the truth.
The surgeon opened up the patient’s chest.
open up new markets.
6. 【非正式用语】 (用于汽车)加速
be open with
I had always been completely open with my mother.
in (或 into) the open
in open court
open the batting
be firing blanks
draw a blank
the search drew a blank.
beat someone hollow
open something up
he opened up a lead of 14–8.
open (one’s) eyes
1. Empty the contents of the pan into the sieve.
2. She showed him around the ground floor of the empty house.
3. She went to the sink and ran water into her empty glass.
4. His voice sounded oddly resonant in the empty room.
5. Her parting words left him feeling empty and alone.
6. He smiles and swirls the ice ruminatively around his almost empty glass.
7. There were two empty beer bottles on the table.
8. Empty the noodles and liquid into a serving bowl.
9. He fixed me with those luminous, empty eyes and his melancholy smile.
10. On the table beside an empty plate was a pile of books.
11. The room was empty apart from one man seated beside the fire.
12. We were given an office in the empty west wing.
13. He was, to adopt an Americanism, “an empty suit”.
14. Chang seemed surprised to find the big living-room empty.
15. My life was very hectic but empty before I met him.
1. They may headhunt her for the vacant position of Executive Producer.
2. The vacant W.B.C. junior-lightweight title has been called off.
3. Vacant rooms on the campus were being used by holidaying families.
4. Half way down the coach was a vacant seat.
5. The seat next to him was vacant.
6. The top post in the delegation was still vacant.
7. Vacant positions can be made known through the medium of the press.
8. A job fell vacant in the accounting department.
9. His mind seems completely vacant.
10. Is the lavatory vacant?
厕所里没人 吧 ?
11. He stared into space with a vacant expression.
12. Are there any vacant positions in your firm?
你们公司有空缺 吗 ?
13. There were many vacant seats in the theatre.
14. The vacant house was on the block.
15. Please leave the front row of seats vacant.
1. Bake some big red peppers and hollow them out.
2. He looked young, dark and sharp-featured, with hollow cheeks.
3. The ersatz spontaneity of “Sunday Love” sounds especially hollow.
4. Murray Pick’s hollow laugh had no mirth in it.
5. I made my home there, in the hollow of a dying elm.
6. Below him the town lay warm in the hollow of the hill.
7. I felt empty and hollow; defeated.
8. The tree trunk was hollow inside.
9. She looked old and thin with sunken cheeks and hollow eyes.
10. The boys scraped out a hollow place for planting trees.
11. All the units employ hollow burned – clay blocks as the basic raw material.
12. A bar of iron is solid; a pipe is hollow.
13. A thin, hollow needle was carefully introduced into the patient’s abdomen.
14. A iron bar is solid; a pipe is hollow.
15. More gravel is needed to fill the hollow in the drive.
1. They shot him at point blank range with an automatic rifle.
2. Write your letter and seal it in a blank envelope.
3. They drew a blank in their search for the driver.
4. When they found us guilty, I just went blank.
5. I was trying to blank out previous situations from my mind.
6. Put a word in each blank to complete the sentence.
7. He had been gunned down and killed at point-blank range.
8. He had murdered Perceval at point blank range with a single shot.
9. He had a still, almost blank face in repose.
10. Mr Patterson was asked point blank if he would resign.
11. Abbot looked blank. “I don’t quite follow, sir.”
12. I’m sorry, but my mind is a blank.
13. I learned to blank those feelings out.
14. My mind went totally blank.
15. His expressions varied from poker-faced to blank.
1. The action is an open violation of the Vienna Convention.
2. Without warning, Bardo smacked his fist into his open hand.
3. It’s an open secret that the security service bugged telephones.
4. In 1973, the first Open University graduates received their degrees.
5. Don’t leave a child alone in a room with an open fire.
6. Leave a vent open to let some moist air escape.
7. Rachel burst out as the door was flung open again.
8. They pried open a sticky can of blue paint.
9. His mouth was a little open, as if he’d started to scream.
10. The forum is now open to all budding entrepreneurs.
11. The kitten wormed its way through the just-open door.
12. There was a metallic click and the gates swung open.
13. The restaurant is upstairs and consists of a large, open room.
14. During the 1980s the world’s financial systems became more open.
15. Everyone wanted to bowl, hence everyone wanted to open a bowling alley.