examine, inspect, investigate, scan
examine ： 最普通用词，可指粗略地查看，也可指仔细观察或调查以确定事物的性质、功能、特点等。
inspect ： 侧重按一定质量标准检查某物，找出不足或不同之处。
investigate ： 指为发现事实真相或了解掌握情况而进行深入细致的现场考察。
scan ： 原义是仔细地检查分析，现用于指细看或浏览。
1. I’ll start with some generalities and then examine a few specific examples.
2. We examine the wording in detail before deciding on the final text.
3. Doctors examine their patients thoroughly in order to make a correct diagnosis.
4. The accused’s lawyers will get a chance to cross-examine him.
5. Her husband and children will also have to re-examine their expectations.
6. I need to examine all possible contingencies.
7. I was stimulated to examine my deepest thoughts.
8. The committee will examine the agreement and any problems arising therefrom.
9. Please examine the insulation of the electric wires in my house.
10. It is most risky to go and examine an active volcano.
11. He went to the Congo to examine a new volcano.
12. The teacher will examine the students in music.
13. She was sent to examine into the matter.
14. Examine the account well before you pay it.
15. The doctor examine the patient carfully.
1. They have the right to come in and inspect the meter.
2. Elaine went outside to inspect the playing field.
3. The captain wants to inspect your kit.
4. The mayor will inspect our school tomorrow.
5. Use a surveyor or architect to oversee and inspect the different stages of the work.
6. They don’t normally give any advance notice about which building they’re going to inspect.
7. Two policemen held up a truck so as to inspect the driver’s license.
8. He was instructed to inspect the cargo on the ship and detain such cargo if necessary.
9. Cut the fruit in half and inspect the pips: if they are turning slightly brown it is ready for harvesting.
10. Mr. Chang opened the cupboard and invited Hung – chien to inspect them.
张先生打开橱门,请鸿 渐 赏鉴.
11. We had better inspect the premises first, and examine the servants afterwards.
12. The buyer must inspect the goods supplied for defects.
13. Several years later, they heard that Napoleon himself was coming to inspect them.
14. He gave us permission to enter his premises to inspect the meters.
15. The stewards will inspect the course to see if racing is possible.
1. We were asked to investigate the alleged inconsistencies in his evidence.
2. The two sides agreed to set up a commission to investigate claims.
3. He felt impelled to investigate further.
4. The FBI has been called in to investigate.
5. We should not jump to conclusions. Let’s investigate first.
6. However, as evidence began to accumulate, experts felt obliged to investigate.
然而, 由于证据开始增多了, 专家们感到必须进行调查了.
7. Let’s investigate the syntax of Chinese.
8. Police should be asked to investigate so that the guilty can be brought to book soon.
9. It is only fairly recently that historians have begun to investigate the question.
10. He said he hoped the Swiss authorities would investigate the case thoroughly and without prejudice.
11. Harmon plays a private eye hired by Mimi Rogers to investigate her husband’s disappearance.
12. The authorities have been asked to set up a commission to investigate the murders.
13. They should adopt a more imaginative approach and investigate alternative uses for their property.
14. Police have set up an incident room as they begin to investigate this morning’s fire.
15. Antitrust authorities must investigate the effect and purpose of an agreement to determine its legality.
1. I just had a quick scan through your book again.
2. He was rushed to hospital for a brain scan.
3. Their approach is to scan every checked-in bag with a bomb detector.
4. I had an ultrasound scan to see how the pregnancy was progressing.
5. A brain scan last Friday finally set his mind at rest.
6. Whirr, click, whirr, click — step by step the scan probed deeper.
7. He had written a few poems. Sid told him they didn’t scan.
8. A scan determines the position of the baby in the womb.
9. The first scan was bad, so I had to do it again.
10. A routine scan revealed abnormalities in the foetus.
11. My fingers scan a book in braille.
12. The verses scan well.
13. Sampras awaits the results of a bone scan on a painful left shin.
14. Most women will be offered an ultrasound scan during pregnancy, although it’s not obligatory.
15. The specialist who carried out the brain scan thought Tim’s chances of survival were still slim.